Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our activities for the Winter/Spring 2021 season are cancelled. We thank you for your understanding. Please contact us if you have any question!
“The Bush is not for or against you… I shall shelter myself from wind, rain or snow and build a fire to warm up. I will not let fear or panic rule my mind as this only works against me.” – Mors Kochanski –
Survival 101 is a workshop on the basics of Forest survival.
Come out and have fun with Coyote Program instructors Arndell LeBlanc, Kawisente Mcgregor and the Coyote Crew in Kawisente’s beautiful forest located in Kahnawake, on the South Shore of Montreal
Proceeds from this one day workshop will go to our scholarships for our youth programs which allow youth to learn wilderness skills, develop their leadership, and connection to people, place, and self.
In this workshop, participants will learn the basics theories and practices of survival in North Eastern forests. Keep in the mind that this course will be jammed packed with information and will only be able showcase an overview of the subject matter.
Some topics to be covered:
- Connection to our natural world and local peoples
- Finding comfort in the outdoors
- “What is survival?”
- Basics of survival theory and mindset
- “You’re lost… Now what?”
- “Best to go three days without food than one without tea.”
- Water, teas and staying alive
- Introduction to Fire
- How to start a fire
- Winter survival fires
- Various natural, scavenged and purchased fire lighting methods
- Clothing systems as a survival tool
- How to dress in the winter: wet cold and dry Cold
- Shelter and Bed Making
- Working with the elements using natural and man-made materials
- Introduction to knives and knife use
- Introduction to saws and saw use
- Introduction to axes and axe use
- Introduction to lashing knots
- Crafting with Natural Material
- Supplemental topics depending on time may include:
- Introduction to wilderness medicine
- Edible and medicinal plants
- and much more!
Participants can expect a safe and relaxed learning environment embracing all levels of comfort and knowledge. The goal is to introduce people to these concepts and to foster an “upgrading” to skill levels. This workshop will be rewarding and challenging to students of varied skill levels.
Rideshare systems are in place to facilitate transport (Participant Organized***)
Kawisente McGregor’s beautiful backyard forest in Kahnawake
Dates to be published
$60 (plus tax)
ACCESSIBILITY FOR PARENTS ***
For Coyote Programs workshops, youth under the age of 14 are welcome for an additional 30$ per day. Please be aware that you are responsible for your child at all times while our staff focuses on teaching the workshop. We welcome the youth and encourage them to follow along, and we ask that the space for adult learning to be respected.
Contact us if you have any question.