Being out with the elements in all their moods is one of our core values because we believe it is an opportunity always available to us for building confidence and resiliency! Rain, snow, uncomfortable temperatures, and insects are all valuable teachers as long as we are well-prepared.
For programs at Angrignon park, we will gather under public shelters if the rain is too heavy. For other programs, we will use tarps and what Nature has to offer for shelter.
However, if the weather makes travelling dangerous, or if extreme storms / lightning / winds are expected, we will indeed cancel programs. In the event of a cancellation due to extreme weather, we will be sending an email in the morning of the program. We wait until the day of because it is truly exceptional that we cancel programs due to weather, and so want to be sure in our decision. However, we do not offer refunds for programs cancelled due to weather. As one of our sister schools Jumping Mouse Outdoor School likes to put it: “think of it as a CSA model — ‘Community Shared Adventure’!”
Ticks, just like all the common hazards that we speak about early on in our programs (dangerous plants, falling branches, dehydration etc..) are teachers of awareness. We empower children to look out for these things and get to know them so they don’t live in fear, but nurture an understanding of these things. Ticks are a hazard to approach with a lot of respect because the consequences are significant. The most important thing to do after a day in a wild area that is known to have ticks is to check for ticks at the end of the day and to properly remove them if they are embedded in the skin. Here are some useful links to know more about ticks and lyme disease:
There is always a person in charge that you can contact during programs. Whether it’s the director or the head instructor, you’ll find there phone number in the Welcome Package we send before the first session of the program.
There is a 50$ non-refundable deposit for your registration to a program.
For the Forest Schoolers Program:
There is a 5%non-refundable deposit of the total price of your registration to a program.
Should you decide to cancel your registration between 14 and 8 days prior to the starting date of the program, we will keep 50% of the first 25% installment.
Should you decide to cancel your registration 7 days or less prior to the starting date of the program, we will keep the totality of the first 25% installment.
For youth programs: if your child is unsure whether they would like to participate, please contact us and we would be happy to arrange a trial day before committing to the program.
If a participant must withdraw from an entire program for medical reasons a full refund will be issued, upon receipt of medical evidence (such as a note from a health practitioner).
In the event of low registration, last-minute debilitating illness of instructors, or other circumstances out of our control, programs may be cancelled. Participants will receive a full refund for the day(s) missed, or be offered a make-up program date.
As we send out the welcome email, we also include a link to a rideshare website for parents or participants to self-organize around carpooling. If it’s a limiting factor for your attendance please let us know. If you give us permission to share your information with others, we can see if those who we know live close to you are able to help share the driving responsibilities.
For all things COVID-19 related, we ask that your child be mature enough to agree with our practices and to do their best to physically distance and to receive our coaching should they need support.
A child is ready when they have the trust and confidence to be away from their parents for the program, it must be their choice, and we work with parents when need be to empower their child to make the right decision for themselves when the time comes. If a child is signed up for a year round program for 4 – 6 year olds, they can come with their parents for the first two weeks to get used to the experience. At the beginning of our third day we will have a special moment where children will decide themselves if they are ready to participate without their parents. If the child does not feel ready, that is ok! We can try again next season, and the parents will be reimbursed a prorated amount (they will pay for the days the child has participated).