“We learned to be patient observers like the owl. We learned cleverness from the crow, and courage from the jay, who will attack an owl ten times its size to drive it of its territory. But above all of them ranked the chickadee because of its indomitable spirit.” – Tom Brown Jr.
The Chickadees & Ermines program is a weekly morning adventure where children from 4-9 years old can have the opportunity to connect to wild nature with our mentors in Kahnawake.
Our goals for participants are to:
- Develop motor skills and body awareness through physical play
- Learn about the local plants and animals through stories and challenges
- Cultivate resilience and empathy by learning to take care of themselves and each other in the outdoors
- Learn to care for their personal gear
- Cultivate an awareness of and relationship to natural hazards
Activities will include:
- Songs and storytelling
- Adventures in the woods
- Learning to carve using soap and wooden knives
- Games for opening the senses, learning to sneak, and teamwork
- Learning about and using wild plants
- Animal tracking
- Natural shelters
- Embodying animals
Parent involvement for hesitant children:
The chickadees program is an amazing opportunity to foster independence and connection to the land and a community at such a young age.
For the first two days parents are welcome to attend. At the beginning of our third day we will have a special moment where children will decide themselves if they are ready to participate without their parents. If the child does not feel ready, that is ok! We can try again next season, and the parents will be reimbursed a prorated amount (they will pay for the days the child has participated).
Kawisente McGregor’s beautiful backyard forest in Kahnawake
Mondays from 10am – 1pm
October 7th, 21th and 28th
November 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th
$260 (plus tax)
If you need financial assistance, click here.